**Are you an alumni in need of your transcript? Please contact guidance secretary Mrs. Janet Duvall at 330-223-7102
Welcome to the United High School Guidance Office website. Students and parents are encouraged to visit the site often, as any information that comes into the guidance office will be posted here. It's especially important that seniors check often to be aware of any scholarships that are posted. Urgent Updates are listed below!
*Please view the tabs at the top of the page to direct your navigation.
*Please view the tabs at the top of the page to direct your navigation.
*2018 Seniors & parents of seniors: Have you signed up to receive reminders about scholarships, important deadlines, test dates, and more? Text @uhssen to 81010
- The scholarships page is updated weekly! Please keep an eye on it for scholarships that are available to seniors.
- Looking for information about a particular college? Click HERE
- Simmers Crane is looking for the high school graduate who may not be interested in attending college or enlisting in the military or enrolling in an expensive trade school. The candidate must be able to perform hands on work in a heavy industrial environment. Candidate must be capable of working at heights and must be willing to travel and must be fit for duty. Simmers headquarters is located in Salem, Ohio. Training will be conducted in our office, shop and out in the field on the job at our customer’s facilities. Each candidate will be paid an hourly rate of $12.00 per hour. Interested candidates should check out http://www.simmerscrane.com/ to learn more. All interested candidates should email cover letter and resume to Chad Thorne at email@example.com.
- Attention students 18 or older: The Guildford Lake State Park is hiring for the summer. Positions are available in the campground office. Pay is $9.71/ hour. Please call the office at 330-222-1712 or stop by to pick up an application.
- The Columbiana County Bar Association would like to welcome Junior and Senior students in Columbiana County to attend this year’s Law Day which will be held on Friday, May 4, 2018. This is for junior or senior level students who may have an interest in the law or law enforcement. The students will be assigned an attorney to supervise them while at the event. This attorney will also be available to answer any questions the students have about the practice of law. Please notify Mrs. Muniz ASAP if you would like to attend!
- Salem Regional Medical Center is again offering their Summer Teen Volunteer Program. This is for students 16 years and older who have a 3.2 GPA. This program provides an excellent opportunity for gaining exposure to the healthcare field, providing a service to your community, earning required service hours for school and providing experience for resumes and college applications. This program will be held from June 4 through August 17. The minimum service hour requirement is 40 hours. After completing 20 hours you will have the opportunity to shadow SRMC staff members.clinical professionals. Applications are due by May 7, 2018. To apply please contact JoAnne Peppel at 330-337-2895.
- The Columbiana County Career and Tech Center is hosting an Apprenticeship Recruitment Fair for machinists, welders and industrial maintenance. Thursday, April 26, 2018 from 5-7PM. For more info visit: www.industryneedsyou.com
- Sheet Metal Worker Apprentice Openings with a starting wage rate of $13.61/ hour plus fringe benefits. Applications will be taken at the Sheet Metal Workers Hall, 200 McClurg Ed. Boardman, Ohio 44512 on the Monday of each month from 9-11AM and 2-6PM. For more information please call the union office at 330-758-0112
- Attention Seniors: STUDENTS WHO INTERESTED IN PURSUING MACHINISTS, WELDERS AND INDUSTRIAL MAINTENANCE LOCAL MANUFACTURERS ARE HIRING FOR THESE CAREER PATHS
PLEASE JOIN US AT ONE OF OUR APPRENTICESHIP RECRUITMENT FAIRS
-THURSDAY, APRIL 26, 2018
COLUMBIANA COUNTY CAREER & TECH CENTER
5 p.m. - 7 p.m. - Open to general public
-THURSDAY, MAY 3, 2018
CHOFFIN CAREER & TECH CENTER
4:30 P.M. - 7 P.M. - Open to general public
- Alliance Community Hospital’s Summer Teen Program: The Summer Teen Program is an opportunity for high school students ages 16 to graduation to volunteer over the summer months during their school break. While volunteering in this program is not an internship or shadowing program, it does afford students the unique opportunity to gain non-clinical experience in a hospital setting while gaining personal satisfaction of helping others. Only students in the summer program will be permitted to volunteer throughout the school calendar year. The Volunteer Office will begin accepting applications on Monday, March 19, 2018. Application deadline is Tuesday, May 8, 2018. The link to this application form is: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=1305127556
- Hiram College's 2018 Summer Academies for High School Students if a unique place to learn about writing and global leadership. For more information visit www.hiram.edu/summerathiram
- The Office of Pre-College Programs in conjunction with the College of Science and Mathematics, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and Computing and Telecommunications Services (CaTS) are pleased to offer: Exploring STEMM—Enriching Minds Through Science 2018. Students who are selected will participate in a variety of STEMM disciplines over a two day period. Students will spend one night on campus under the supervision of Residential Assistants. Student MUST be residents of Ohio.
2018 Session Dates: June 25-26 (females only), June 28-29 (males only), July 2-3 (co-ed)
For more information click HERE! Registration is due June 1, 2018.
- The Careers in Professional Accounting Camp (CPA Camp) is a 2.5 day program for underrepresented high school students in the Greater Cleveland area who are interested in exploring careers in accounting and business. CPA Camp is presented by The Ohio Society of CPAs and hosted at Cleveland State University's Monte Ahuja College of Business. At CPA Camp, students will learn about the exciting field of accounting and related business endeavors. Participants will embark on business tours, attend workshops and meet fellow students from the Greater Cleveland area. Students will leave CPA Camp Cleveland with a strong foundation in business and leadership to build upon. This program is specifically designed to increase the number of underrepresented students entering accounting. This includes, but is not limited to, those who identify as: having a disability, LGBTQ+, students of color, and the first in their family to attend college. When: July 22 - 24 2018 Where: Cleveland State University How: Applications will become available January 2018 For more information please click HERE! Deadline: May 31 2018 at 11:59 PM EDT (Midnight)
- NACAC is offering a National College fair on April 22, 2018 from 1-4pm at the Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland. Learn more and register at www.nacacfairs.org/cleveland
What is a school counselor?
A school counselor is someone who works in elementary, middle, and/or high schools to assist with academic and personal/social development, as well as career preparation. Duties vary depending on the needs of the school, but most high school counselors present classroom guidance lessons to all students, initiate individual student planning, provide individual and group counseling, and promote academic achievement to ensure future success. All professional school counselors are required to have Master's Degrees and required state certification. Maintaining state certification includes participating in on-going professional development to stay current with educational reform and challenges facing today's students.